Monday, July 31, 2006

a domestic or euro crankset?!

OK, so I am building (after many years of lusting and sweating it) a 29er Moots YBB with S&S couplers to travel the US and Europe, and wherever the hell else dr. hot czech and i end up and want to mountain bike. With that I had the idea to make the bike primarily of domestic US production, which is impossible because of tires and tubes and cables and such. But anyway as much as I am an idealist it has more to do with the fact that I don't really want a $500 set of carbon cranks made by a machine in Taiwan on my handcrafted in the US from wholly US materials custom titanium bike. (and i'm even down with carbon) So I'm thinking that with European parts filling out the rest, since this is where i'll be riding, I should be able to make the most of it(outside of my avid disc brakes which i am unwilling to part with.) But I haven't found a good set of cranks. I want bearing durability (ie. no ISIS) so a square taper or external BB and to run a single 38T chainring with a bash guard to a Rolhoff hub. So where do I find this mystery crankset. I'm completely open to anything from a Record aluminum crankset(Casey wants me to use a track crankset, although the availability or bashguards is slim) to some locally machined thing, so long as it's not one of the Kooka deals that likes to snap off. What do you think? Could a forged aluminum road crank be up to mountain abuse?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey case, guess who's mtn cranks are made in N. America? Race Face.

7/31/2006 06:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home